Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

There are no "coincidences"

I went to see a neurologist Friday and just by "coincidence" I saw a doctor who specialized in concussions and had been a Dr. for the Carolina Hurricanes a few years ago.  Knowing how hard the pucks are hit, and not to mention they are frozen, he was concerned with my injury. He conducted a series of neurological tests and evaluated symptoms of Post Concussion Symptoms.  He said I had a level 3 concussion.  Just to put in perspective, if a professional athlete had a level 3 concussion they would most likely be out for the season if not the remainder of their professional career. He believes it will at least be 4-6 more weeks before I will be totally back on my feet as "normal". I gave him a list of my symptoms during the appointment and needless to say it ended up being a check off sheet for PCS
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Fatigue focusing on 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
  • Irritability focusing on Galatians 5:22
  • ringing in the ears
  • Anxiety  focusing on Philippians 4:6-9, Joshua 1:9
  • Insomnia
  • Loss of concentration and memory
  • Noise and light sensitivity
The Doctor ordered an MRI Friday evening.  Again, just by "coincidence" the radiologist, Jennifer and I hit it off when she told me she had been hit by a puck 5 years ago at a Hurricanes' game.   I am assured by the doctor who believes that I will have a full recovery due to steady improvement over the last few weeks and I will get the MRI results in a few days.



As the Doctor was leaving the room he made one last statement before he left, "You do realize that the outcome could have been different right?"  This is something that I have thought about over the past few weeks and have praised the Lord for each new morning. Having a deeper perspective for life as a gift which I too often take for granted, which is demonstrated by my complaining and grumbling about the small things in my life. 

I had a Birthday a few days after the accident and I found myself not grumbling about getting older but thankful to be older celebrating another Birthday. Although my life came to a screeching halt and my to-do-list remained on the counter, which didn't seem so important any longer. I am thankful for rest, comfort and peace. Also for my servant husband who held me while I cried in pain, gave me company in the middle of sleepless nights and cared in a unselfish way. I am thankful for the each of the kids who rotated in my bed throughout the day to talk and cuddle.  My sweet Logan who brought me to tears many times with hugging me and asking if he could pray with me and doing so.  During the days of being in bed, witnessing Logan giving his heart to the Lord was truly a privilege. The kids stepped up in ways that would bless any mothers heart. I am thankful for all the phone calls. emails, texts, visits, help with the kids and your prayers that have been heard and God's faithfulness is evident. Although my chances of getting hit with a puck that night was about one in about 22,000 people, I know that God is sovereign over all and I continue to grow in this circumstance. My heart aches for you to know your Creator, to know His Word, to know His promises, to know Him in an intimate way that you will have freedom and eternal life. If you ever experience an accident that results in physical pain,  not being able to read, think or organize your thoughts you may experience a depth of Love, comfort and peace that only comes from the Lord.





1 comment:

  1. and to think that God chose me to partner with you. I'm blessed beyond words. I love you, my sweet friend. What an honor to the LORD this post is.

    ReplyDelete