Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Stop and smell the flowers


Spring tends to ramp up our family calendar and it is fast paced with a variety of activities. The days seem to fly by as we turn the calendar pages quickly. Even in the busyness of life I am thankful for the sweet moments the Lord weaves into our lives that slow the pace.

Last Wednesday was beyond busy with Billy out of town and the kids had a number of commitments. Despite all the busyness Olivia had a moment to bounce through the yard and she brought a flower over to the porch and asked me to look at all the bumps and colors. As I took a deep breath to slow my pace I peered down in between her tiny hands and noticed how detailed, intricate, precise and beautiful it was. As her hands clutched the flower and those little brown eyes looked up I cupped my hands around hers and whispered "God made it, it's beautiful, just beautiful Olivia, do you see all the detail?"
We took a moment to inspect all the lines, bumps, colors, details and took a few sniffs (very strong fragrant smell)  then she dropped the cut off flower in a bucket and bounced through the yard once more.

Although many things needed to get accomplished before the sun went down I was Thankful God gave me little ones that slow me down in my tracks. I cringe at the thought of how many times I have missed the sweetness of these opportunities but I am thankful this time (by His grace)  it was not overlooked. This flower was a sweet reminder that God created, grows, and cares for the details on the flower and He cares about every single detail in our lives. Nothing is overlooked, nothing thrown together, nothing un-noticed, nothing out of His grip and control. He already knows what the day and future hold. Despite changing circumstances and trials that we face in this fallen world, God never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.(Hebrews 13:8)  He cares about all the details in our lives and can use all things to mature us in our faith and point others to the hope and unchangeable Jesus Christ.

" Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these" Luke 12:27
 
 
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful and true sentiment Michelle! So many days pass by us and we never stop to realize the beauty in that day because we are so consumed with our schedule. This is such a great reminder to me to go out of my way to do this!!

    ReplyDelete